Saturday, January 7, 2012

Adventure #34: 渝川菜館 (Take 2)

We still owe Fred his 水煮魚 , so this Saturday we managed to get 8 people together for take 2 at 渝川菜館.  For 8 people, we were entitled to order 5 cold dishes and 8 hot dishes but only entitled to 1 crab dish which had to be pre-ordered.  I wanted to try both the spicy and non-spicy crab, so we paid extra for another crab dish.

As is always the case with me, always so eager to sample the food, very often I forget to take photos of the food for the blog until the food's half gone. And in today's case, the 涼菜 were almost all gone before I remembered!

For 涼菜, we had 口水雞, 夫妻肺片川椒皮蛋, 四川涼麵 and a 豆腐 dish. The 四川涼麵 was better than the last time (see middle plate, all gone!) and the 川椒皮蛋 was really good.


They started us off with 川式椒鹽蝦, a non-spicy dish.  As good as I remembered it to be.

Next came another non-spicy dish (hello!) - 蛋黃蟹.  A lot like what we have in Malaysia but the taste not as strong. But very good though.

Finally, our first spicy dish - 重慶辣子蟹.  Obviously very different from the 蛋黃蟹. And this was more  than .
 
The 粉蒸肉 was by far the most disappointing dish.  No one knew what it was supposed to be, it didn't look like anything nor appetizing.  It was supposed to have meat in it but we can hardly taste any.  Definitely not a dish to repeat.

The 酸菜魚 was a refreshing dish and the most popular dish.  I think we finished all but a small bowl of soup.

Finally, THE 水煮魚.  Fred - worth the wait?

 
The 回鍋肉 was not too spicy.  A good dish to follow the 水煮魚.

鍋巴 dish - ok lah, nothing special.

We ended with 乾煸四季豆  which turned out to be the spiciest dish of the night! 
Some of us felt that the dinner was not as fiery as expected.  I think perhaps we ordered one too many non-spicy dishes this time - which were all very tasty.  I rather enjoyed it though.  I like spicy but I also like to taste what I eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment