Saturday, January 14, 2012

Adventure #36: 輝記盆菜 (Take Away)

I have always wanted to try 盆菜.  But this is a dish to share and I have never been able to mobilise 10-12 people to track all the way to the New Territories for this.  This year, I decided to have one at our new place.  Once I mentioned this, I was told to order from 輝記盆菜, the place the locals in Yuen Long go for 盆菜.

The 盆菜 came just 30 mins before the dinner was due to start.  Once again, I forgot to take a picture of the 盆菜 in its original state.  I was eager to see what's inside!  Anyways, 盆菜 is a poor man's food - that is why everything is cooked in a  (basin).  So, you didn't miss much......


Chicken and prawns on the top.  Braised meat below.  But the most yummy ones are the mushroom, turnip, fu-pei etc at the bottom!

We supplemented the 盆菜 with a pot of 南乳斎 made from my mother-in-law's recipe.

There were 12 of us and we only managed to finish about two-thirds of the !  Well, I guess I know what I am having for dinner tomorrow.......

We finished the dinner, appropriately, with tong yun.  Hope this is a good start to all for the Dragon Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment