Sunday, May 12, 2013

Adventure #170: Relaxed weekend brunch

The whole family has been sick for a week.  Although today is mother's day, with the older on away in Xian, we just wanted to spend Sunday relaxing at home.  Flipped through my magazine and saw this mouth watering picture! G loves anything with eggs. So, we set out to get ingredients for this.

Chorizo and Patatas Bravas with Eggs


This is my version.  Looked pretty good if I may say so.  I found that the chorizo I bought was not fatty enough, i.e. not much fat came out when frying and hence my potatoes (maybe I put a little too many) were not as "fried" as I like. Will adjust for that next time.  And I used fresh cherry tomatoes instead of the canned ones. I think it makes the whole dish less tomato-ish which I prefer.

To me, it is a luxury to be able to cook in my kitchen (it is the maids' domain). Recipe was simple and it tasted great. Excellent with chilled white wine!


Recipe
Preparation and cooking time: 45 min
Serves: 4

2tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
pinch of smoked paprika
pinch of cayenne pepper
400g can cherry tomatoes
800g (1lb 12oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm (1 1/4 inch) cubes
100g (4oz) small chirozo, chopped into 2cm (3/4 inch) pieces
4 large eggs
some finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

1. Heat half the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion until beginning to soften, then stir in the garlic, paprika and cayenne. Add the tomatoes and bring to simmer, then cook for about 20 mins.

2. Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes for about 6 mins until tender but still hold their shape. Drain well and leave to steam dry.

3. Heat a large frying pan and cook the chorizo for a few mins, then add the potatoes and cook over fairly high heat until the potatoes and chorizo brown in patches. Tip them into the spicy sauce, mixing in well.

4. Place the frying pan back on the heat, add the remaining oil and fry the eggs.  Place them on top of the potato mixture, sprinkle the parsley and transfer to the table to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment